Stay Warm With This Healthy Soup Recipe
During cold and flu season, healthy eating is vital—especially if you want to travel and explore all winter long. To help you stay warm and well, the chefs at MRKT East are sharing a heart-warming noodle soup that is packed with flavour and nutrition. The Taiwanese Beef Shank Soup may take a little effort, but we promise it’ll be worth the wait.
MRKT EAST’S TAIWANESE BEEF NOODLE SOUP
Makes: 5 Bowls
Beef Shank Ingredients:
- 5 lbs beef shank
- ¼ cup sliced ginger
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp diced shallots
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
Beef Shank Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup lee lum kee chilli bean sauce
- ½ tbsp dry red chilli
- ½ cup kimlan soy paste
- ¼ cup kimlan soy sauce
- 1 tsp beef pho soup base
- ¼ cup rock sugar
- ¼ cup diced daikon
- ¼ cup diced carrot
- ¼ cup diced celery
- ½ cup dark soy sauce
- 3 pieces star anise
- 2 pieces tsaoko
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 5 Sichuan peppercorns
- 5 cloves
- 5 white peppercorns
- 5 lbs beef knuckle bone
- 3 yellow onions, halved
- ½ cup sliced ginger
- ¼ cup diced shallots
- 2 pieces star anise
- 1 tsp white peppercorn
- 8-oz package thick beef noodle
- 2 tbsp parley, to garnish
- 2 tbsp green onion, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place the beef shanks in the pot and cook for 15 minutes. Once cooked, rinse the shanks in cold water.
- Place the ginger, onions, shallots and garlic on a baking sheet and roast until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Place the cooked shanks in a new pot and add water until the shanks are slightly covered. Bring the water to a boil and add in the roasted ginger, onions, shallots and garlic.
- Add in all the sauce ingredients, and cook on low heat for 1.5 hours. Let cool, and then cut the shanks into 1.5 thick pieces. Place the shanks in a container and drench it with the sauce. Refrigerate for one hour or overnight.
- To make the soup, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Bring a large pot water to a boil and boil the beef knuckle bone for 10 minutes. Remove, then let the beef knuckle bone soak in cold water for 10 minutes.
- Roast the onion, ginger, shallots, star anise and peppercorns until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Boil 11.5 cups of water and then add in the roasted ingredients. Cook for 6 hours on low heat, keeping the soup temperature at about 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium pot, bring water to a boil. Place the package of noodles in the boiling water, and cook until soft, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Mix in the refrigerated beef shanks and sauce along with the soup mixture until it’s piping hot.
- Divide the noodles equally between 5 bowls. Divide the beef shanks equally between the bowls, and top with the soup mixture. Garnish with parsley and green onion.
If you’re feeling inspired but you don’t have the time to cook, we invite you to join us to have this healthful recipe prepared for you by the masterful chefs at MRKT East.
Let’s stay connected
Remain informed about all of the latest news, special events, extraordinary adventures, and be the first to receive select offers from Parq Vancouver. You’ll receive a one time 10% off coupon to enjoy at BC Kitchen. Terms & conditions apply.